Your resident Mugen, Jin and Fuu, back again for another episode!
…I’m Fuu, aren’t I? They’ve probably made me Fuu.
Here’s some stuff you might like:
- Battlecry is the name of the song in the opening credits. Produced by the late DJ/Producer Nujabes, Battlecry is also the first track from Samurai Champloo Music Record: Departure; the second of four albums released for the series. I highly recommend listening to all of them. Now’s a good time. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.
You back? Cool, let’s continue:
- Nujabes, real name Jun Seba, passed away in 2010, after a car accident. Wumi recommends listening to 25 Nights for Nujabes, a series of pieces made by Australian producer Ta-ku after Nujabes’ death. You can hear the whole thing here.
- A nine-page deconstruction of Samurai Champloo is featured in How To Watch Television, a series of essays breaking down shows such as Family Guy, The Walking Dead and . Jiwon Ahn’s essay describes the increased popularity of Samurai Champloo and other imported shows in the US. This textbook is read by students at the USC School of Cinematic Arts.
- On September 10th 2014, 22-year-old Darrien Hunt was shot four times in the back by Utah police after receiving reports of a suspicious male carrying a sword. According to his family, the mixed-raced anime fan had been cosplaying as Mugen at the time, complete with a costume samurai sword.
- I asked the others for one anime recommendation, and their favourite song from the show. Here’s what they said…
642 pt. 2
Anime: Katekyō Hitman Reborn!Track: Kujaku by Nujabes
- Bushidō, also known as “The way of the samurai”, is pretty much that – a set of relatively unspoken morals and rules to how a samurai should act. 19th century Japanese politician compiled the Bushido code into eight main tenets:
- 義 Righteousness
- 勇 Courage
- 仁 Benevolence
- 礼 Respect
- 誠 Sincerity
- 名誉 Honour
- 忠義 Loyalty
- 自制 Self – Control
- According to Wikipedia, noted followers of Bushido include Yamaga Soko, Spike Spiegel and Master Splinter. Only one of those was a real person.
That’s it for this week. It’s another pitch-off next week, and we’re going BACK IN TIIIME!